Friday 28 April 2017

Day 4 - 118 -- Awkward Feelings

Well, things should wrap up this weekend -- at least in terms of grading. I've been doing nothing but grading all day and through last evening and for most days over the past 1-1/2 weeks. It feels like much longer than that, but when it is with you seven days a week, it does seem unending. Tonight, there is a light in the distance. It will be pleasant to remove all the exams from the house and squirrel them away for the requisite year before shredding.

This is a part of the job that is rather uncomfortable. Being paid to sit in judgement of others feels distressing. Not only is the process painful (physically and emotionally), it brings awkward feelings of lack of communication on both sides. As a friend once said, "I don't belong to the clairvoyant school of marking." I can't assume that two words mean a full sentence without more clarity. What was meant by the writer must be clear to the reader. I can see when students are tired when they write, and this can lead to reduced clarity and challenging word choices. Being the authority charged with determining correctness of responses does not mean that I don't want to see each and every one of them succeed. It hurts when the numbers aren't what would make them happy. But, as I said, this is almost over for this term.

An older song spoke to me today. Its lyrics discuss the feelings that I've been having. Enjoy!

Don't Let me be Misunderstood -- The Animals


No comments:

Post a Comment