Friday 24 April 2020

Day 7 - 114 -- Perspective and Change

The day brought positives along with disappointments.

I had a live talk with friend who dropped by to pick up something I'd borrowed before the days of isolation began. I stood on the porch and he on the sidewalk below as we chatted. It was disappointingly cold, so the conversation was shorter than I'd have liked, but it was so good to talk to someone three dimensional. I love my screen chats -- don't get that wrong, but seeing a person in the same space as me is quite remarkable. Who knew?

I took a few minutes two or three times during the day, and managed to find some more of the outside pieces that fit together for the huge puzzle underway on the dining room table. Just those small victories helped me feel I'd accomplished something and it was relaxing. Again, who knew?

I had three wonderful video chats with dear friends -- one down the road a piece and the other two in other countries, one of which is pretty much on the other side of the globe. Those are wonderful moments that fill my heart. I can't wait to be able to visit them in person and give them all huge hugs. Who knew?

The take out dinner planned did not come to fruition. A friend had to make a trip down the highway a bit and planned to bring back orders for six or seven of us. Sadly, the sushi restaurant has been unable to source seafood needed, so is doing other things on the menu, but not the sushi most had planned to order. The positive was being included in the offer to pick up something different for dinner -- friends are wonderful gifts.

The planned viewing of a live streaming concert encountered technical difficulties at the source -- weak signal created choppy video and audio. I managed to hear parts of the introduction to a song I'd requested -- such a meaningful song for the hearts and minds hurting after the mass shooting. So, a positive wrapped in the disappointment.

Who knew 39 days ago that so many things had been assumed or taken for granted -- speaking face to face with people (and without a mask), the joy and calm of creating small things, the comfort and peace wrapped in a hug, and the warmth of kind gestures by friends?  Isolation has brought perspective with the ability to see what is important in our daily lives. What do we miss? Not the job, but the people and time to spend doing the everyday things that we often rush through or neglect entirely because we are too busy focusing on being busy.  That, too, is a gift -- one we should hold close as we move into a new normal down the road.

The song for today deals with altering self and perspective. The video is a fun and uses a metaphor that plays on the key word in the title and lyrics. The band is from my former stomping ground -- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. <smile> Stay safe. Enjoy!

Change -- Wide Mouth Mason


No comments:

Post a Comment