Wednesday 8 April 2020

Day 7 - 98 -- Defining Home

Being isolated brings time to ponder many different concepts, allowing us time to examine preconceived notions -- things that may have or may be changing. Today I thought about home. What does that really mean to me? The places of my childhood and youth have changed over the years with homes not inhabited by friends or family any more. So, are those home? I decided today that home is an idea or a feeling. For that reason, I believe it dwells in the heart not in bricks and mortar. It is a place inhabited by self and loved ones -- wherever, however and whenever we are together, we are home. I can gather with people in video chats, phone calls or in my memories. Regardless of how we meet, it feels like home.

One group I've known online for 25 years has a virtual cabin or cottage as our gathering place or online home. In video chats, we can be in our house or that of someone else. To me the key feelings of home are love, comfort and safety. For many of us, being at our dwelling can provide such feelings -- a possible positive during isolation. Several songs were possible choices for tonight. One in particular spoke about going home again and gathering together. The lyrics also bring a feeling of positive things to come, so it seemed to fit my feelings these days. Keep safe. Enjoy!

Peace Train -- Cat Stevens (Yusef Islam)


No comments:

Post a Comment