Thursday 30 April 2020

Day 7 - 119 -- Cold, Wet Surprise

The day began with frozen precipitation mixed with rain. By the end of the day 6 inches of heavy wet snow had fallen along with a fair bit of rain. I walked out to do an errand and was rather wet when I reached my destination. I felt a drizzle of slush run down my neck as I removed the hood from my head. Walking into the nearly horizontal falling slush made seeing through the sun glasses difficult -- Yeah, I know, no sun, but it stopped the stuff from blowing into my eyes. I encountered ankle deep puddles at corner curbes and in a couple of places on the sidewalk. I was sad to realize that the boots I've had for while , which needed to be replaced for tread wear reasons by next winter, now have lost their water proof propoerties. Interestingly, this occurred in several places all on the same day. Hadn't had any trickles of any sort up to now . . . weird. So, today I was taken down by a pair of boots. Coat, mitts, scar, boots, socks and even jeans (hem area under rain pants) are hanging in various locations in the house in hopes that they will dry soon.

Discomfort -- physical or emotional -- brings with it a cluster of emotions -- frustration, sadness, humility, hubris, and several things that make one smile -- like the absurdity of it all. While it may feel damned uncomfortable, it is but a small thing in that grander scheme of the world these days. I do recognize that I see this from a place of privilege.

The selection today was chosen for two reasons. Firstly the title and chorus deal with how things today seemed to pile on top of all the other bits that need to be dealt with. Secondly, the name of the band said it all for me today. Stay safe. Enjoy!

How much can you take -- A Foot in Cold Water






No comments:

Post a Comment