Thursday 2 April 2020

Day 7 - 93 -- Who am I?

In all the uncertainty, fear, sadness and anxiety at present throughout the world, I've been trying to focus on the positives happening such as the amazing community action and support appearing everywhere. Pulling together while being separated brings a smile to many faces. Some social media groups work to focus attention on something small and mudane, but conversations become enjoyable and calming. We need to thank the ones starting that calming train of thought. I've tried to take note of what is still within my control. I can support local businesses. I can check in with friends, neighbours and relatives all around this world to let them know we are still connected. As I've noted before, I can work at practicing self compassion as well as for others. I can limit my exposure to news channels and social media to control the anxiety inducing feeding frenzy of statistics, overwhelming visuals and prognosticating when there is not evidence upon which to base many fear-mongering news anchors and guests. Now is not the time to chase those elusive ratings figures. <sigh>

I've come to the conclusion that this whole crisis has affected me in ways I hadn't expected. Fun things originally planned are not happening. I don't feel up to them. I think this will come back. In the meantime, I feel the need to spend time with me doing the things I do for the reasons I do them. That would mean getting back in touch with who I am -- my self identity. This doesn't need to change who I am. Getting in touch with the inner strength can help to move forward rather than sitting around waiting for the worst. A tall order, but one that will help me to feel more in control.

A line of lyric ran through my mind over the past few days. Today, it made sense to me -- "I do this so the world will know that it will not change me." Take care of you. Enjoy!

NOTE: The video that accompanies this wonderful song can be triggering. It deals with a traumatic event from years back. The lyrics speak to our current situation well. I recommend that you turn off the screen and just listen to the words. Hope is there.

The Change -- Garth Brooks


No comments:

Post a Comment