Wednesday 17 February 2021

Day 8 - 48 -- Ice Ice Everywhere

Hindsight <sigh>  Yesterday we received 4-6 inches of ice pellets followed by some freezing rain and rain. When the system was transitioning to rain, I headed out to move the ice pellets off the porches and stairs. Then I did part most of the walkway to the city sidewalk. I left a couple of car lengths there and the path headed to the back porch. Temperatures were forecast to climb to 10C but it seems they didn't get that warm before things began to fall back below freezing. The warmer temperatures would have melted more of the saturated ice pellets. This morning I had a sinking feeling when I looked out the window. It was cloudy and firmly below freezing. When I went out to try to move some of the bits I left yesterday, it quickly became clear that everything had become one solid frozen, slippery mass. So, instead of shoveling, I spread heavy duty ice melting product from the back  yard to the town sidewalk.  Hopefully with the sun tomorrow, this will help to break up thinner sections. We'll see. 

I felt trapped today. A trip to Main Street had been planned today, but walking just isn't safe today. I called to book a couple of appointments and renew the library books that are due today.  Having freedom to go for a walk or pick up essential items feels good. That has been challenged over the past 11 months. Today only added to this. It has been several years since the yard had such paths of ice, so I should take that as a positive, right. <smile> The next storm arrives in two days and will bring 15 cm snow, so more shoveling will be needed, but the base will not be as level as usual due to the ice -- a tougher way to move snow, but it will move. None of this should last for months, but for a few weeks. March often brings melting temperatures and greater solar loading effect -- other hopes for the future. 

The song today was chosen for the title and chorus lyrics. This pretty much explains what the world is like outside my door today. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Slip Slidin' Away -- Paul Simon



 

No comments:

Post a Comment