Friday 26 February 2021

Day 8 - 57 -- Sparkly Things

The day was colder with brief sunny breaks. I moved the 5-8 cm (2-3 inches) of dry, light snow. Then, I followed up with ice melter for the rain and melted ice that refroze overnight. Hopefully this will help me and anyone entering the yard from slipping and being injured. 

I miss so many things; not just those due to the pandemic, but the many that I can't access here. Today while shoveling, I realized that I hadn't seen sparkling snow for quite a while. On the prairies, one can see this every winter. Here in the maritimes it appears briefly in some winters. I associate this type of snow with cold temperatures and dry snow. The flakes sparkle in sunshine or moonlight so that the ground looks like it is covered in sparkle dust. Even better are the very, very cold days when the humidity in the air freezes and the air shimmers with similar small crystals. I do miss seeing these events, but the longer, colder winters I don't miss as much <smile>. 

A song came to  mind as I was thinking of the sparkly things. It made me smile. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Diamonds on the Soles of the Shoes -- Ladysmith Black Mambazo & Paul Simon




No comments:

Post a Comment