Sunday 3 September 2023

10-237 (25/8/23) -- Systems Down


It has been an interesting Friday. I woke early with some anxiety but things seemed to improve as the day progressed. The doorbell rang around noon. It was my newly moved in neighbour bringing me muffins and fresh biscuits. Cool. I'm not sure when or if that has occurred in the past. They were yummy and figured prominently in my lunch today <smile>. I then headed to campus to deliver some mail and chat with a friend for a bit. That helps me get things in perspective. I then went to a larger store only to find the return process was a bit wonky since they'd had a system outage in the early morning hours. All worked, it was just a bit different to get the return onto the card. My last stop of the day was to fill the gas tank. I'm down to two bars and it starts binging at me at one bar. They must have had the same system disruption, but had not gotten anything up and operating correctly again. So -- it was a cash only business with prepay required. Now, I only had $25 cash, which won't get me far at the pump, so that errand will wait until next week. 

On such days, we become aware of just how dependent we are on technology. So many basic activities require connection. When systems go down, it creates much consternation and angst. It is inevitable. Technology of any sort has always come with a risk of failure and the same reactions from people when such failures manifest. The lyrics of the song shared today describe the depth with which we are involved with technology for all parts of life. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Virtuality -- Rush



No comments:

Post a Comment