Tuesday 5 September 2023

10-246 (3/9/23) -- Social Commentary

Sunshine and warmth filled the air today. I did some cleaning and blog catch-up work. A late afternoon walk felt good and I got to wear my skort instead of jeans -- just like summer. <smile> While working around the house, I had a movie playing in the background -- "Where the Boys Are" from 1960. It was an early career role for a few stars -- Yvette Mimieux, Connie Francis, Paula Prentiss,  George Hamilton, Jim Hutton, and Frank Gorshin. It wasn't a beach movie, but rather a social commentary on male and female interactions. It took place in Florida during Spring Break, which offered much in the way of boy meets girl plot lines. One story was particularly raw and emotional, even in the sterilized presentation of the early '60s. I found that  story difficult where Yvette Mimieux played the role of a young woman who was sexually assaulted. It opens many conversations as this could be a group of college kids today. 

The title song for the movie was sung by Connie Francis. I found this a bit disturbing, given her future brutal assault in the early 1970s. All in all, the movie was a bit unsettling. Lots to ponder for sure. Nonetheless, I've chosen the title song to share today because I love her vocals. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Where The Boys Are -- Connie Francis




No comments:

Post a Comment