Tuesday 5 September 2023

10-248 (5/9/23) -- Waiting All Over

Waiting was the word of the day. I called to deal with an online account that told me I owed money on the account while stating that the balance was zero. So, I made a cup of tea and called the national number. The wait was only about 20 minutes. The last time I had to call, it was almost 50 minutes. So, I took that as a good thing. It seems that one of the quarterly payouts was reduced by the amount I owed, which explains the different messages. Interesting though, that they did not have a note detailing how the amount owed had been paid. Then I called the MD office to get started on the fall flu vaccine acquisition. We were unable to get the preservative free dose last year. The receptionist was working on her own today and was unable to find the high risk form necessary to start the process. That is where we got bogged down last year, too. <sigh>. She will find it or get one from the vaccine distribution centre. So -- I was at the office well over 30 minutes waiting to speak with the receptionist. 

Being in the same building as the MD, I returned something to the grocery store there and then picked up one needed item. I stood in what appeared to be the shortest line with the smallest orders. We were there for at least 20 minutes. The woman ahead of me told me I could go ahead of her. I thanked her and noted I'd been waiting in lines all day and another one wouldn't be an issue. She'd been having a bad day, too. We spent the time comparing the costs of things year over year. Yeah. That helped us both feel better <sigh>. 

The longest wait involved the IT department on campus. I was unable to login to my account today. A call to the help desk soon let me know that they thought I was no longer affiliated with the university. This has happened several times, since the research position must be renewed annually. My appointment end date is August 31. Most are June 30. I had to make a call to the Academic VP office and ask if they could let the IT folks know that a letter had been sent from the AVP earlier in the summer with a list of all of the appointees. This message was sent to IT admin folks right away. I stopped on campus just to ensure things moved forward. It was a bit of a wait while the newbie on the help desk went back and forth with the admin person (who was in a meeting elsewhere this afternoon). She did send a note to the systems folks asking that they reinstate my account asap. My cell number was attached to the work order so someone should let me know when I can get to email and such again. I did check tonight and nothing had changed yet. So, I wait. <sigh> 

One line from a song kept running through my head today. I kept my cool while waiting at all these places but it was still frustrating. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Tired of Waiting for You -- The Kinks


 


-- Waiting was the word of the day -- called MD for appt many times, finally went to the office and waited 30 minutes -- only one person on reception desk -- Then returned an item to store and bought one -- the latter took another 30 minute wait in line to pay -- crazy busy with all university students stocking up their new digs -- To IT services after a phone call that I waited for -- I had to go to campus to get them to reinstate my account which was shut down in error again -- failure to communicate between two sections of services -- Had to get AVP office to contact the Help Desk admin person who asked newbie at the desk to send info to systems folks to fix asap -- it didn't get done today, so still waiting on that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment