Friday 13 October 2023

10-261 (18/9/23) -- Fresh Air Fatigue?

The day began with clouds that cleared to sun. A cool breeze blew until after noon, when the sun became stronger and warmer. We went for a walk down the trail along the river. Everything was so green and the trail well used. Many people were walking or running with a few biking. Even with the other travelers, the walkway felt peaceful. Research findings indicate that being surrounded by nature improves physical and mental health. Even with roadways just beyond the trees, the wooded areas dampened the sound of traffic. The calmness helped to reduce stress and anxiety. I love walks such as this one. Happily similar pathways exist in many urban and rural areas now, so one can escape urban sprawl for a brief time.

After a late lunch, I settled in to write some blogs. Instead, I fell asleep -- like a deep sleep not a light nap. My friend tried to wake me, but I was soundly gone. It lasted less than an hour, but I felt somewhat refreshed. My mother always said that time outside in the fresh air made you sleep better. I'm not so sure it was the air, but the activity level when outdoors that gave that sounder sleep. Either way, I tend to blame the fresh air if I fall asleep during a television show in the evening or for taking a nap like I did today. <smile> 

A song title came to mind while walking today. It is from a favourite roots rock (and swamp rock) group. I like the lyrics that mention the need to re-centre by the water.  Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Green River -- Creedence Clearwater Revival



 

No comments:

Post a Comment