Tuesday 17 October 2023

10-274 (1/10/23) -- Big Change

On my walk i the sun today, I pondered how the world changes around us. This week, my MD retires after 49 years of service to this community. Half of those years, I was his patient. I thought how lucky I have been to have a primary care physician who listened to me and someone who 'got' me. We had many laughs during visits. Knowing my penchant for evidence based decision making, he would pull out his phone and pull up slides from lectures he'd attended or research papers he'd read. We then discussed the statistical processes used and how far those figures would go to support a treatment modality. When test results came in, he'd call me with the report. He had a wonderful calming voice that helped a lot. An added bonus was that he was a musician. He plays drums in a local blues band. 

So, now my mother's words come back to me -- "find a doctor younger than you are". I had little choice when I arrived 25 years ago. The clinic that would take new faculty members had three physicians of similar age -- several years older than me. The clinic has new MDs lined up to begin this fall along with a family practice RN and other allied health professionals. I will have to start over with someone new and try to get them up to speed on the past 25 years of health history in order to help with continuity of care. 

I heard the first line of the chorus of a song in my head as I walked. The line with the request not the one with the diagnosis <smile>. The second song -- a bonus -- is from the band my MD plays with. The song chosen speaks to what I'd been thinking this afternoon. Take care. Enjoy! 

Bad Case of Loving You -- Robert Palmer



Change is Coming -- Working Class 




No comments:

Post a Comment