Tuesday 17 October 2023

10-273 (30/3/23) -- Seeking Truth

The third National Day for Truth and Reconciliation was observed today. On this statutory holiday, the painful history of the residential school system is remembered. It honours the children who did not return home and the survivors of these schools. Orange Shirt Day occurs on this day, too. This indigenous led initiative provides a visual way of recognizing the intergenerational effects of the residential school system. 

Understanding the history provides a way of learning and acknowledging the truth. How we recognize the truth and find ways of coming to terms with it provides reconciliation. When speaking in public, I acknowledge the land on which I am standing and the lands where the work was completed. Beyond the land acknowledgement, I note how I have benefited from colonization. This weaves my history into the broader truths of the indigenous experience. 

I chose a song from a local indigenous group. The leader is an amazing artist. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Signal Fire -- Alan Syliboy and the Thundermakers w/ Symphony Nova Scotia



No comments:

Post a Comment