Sunday 26 May 2024

11-145 (24/5/24) -- Science Careers?

Today I was struck by a social media post about inequities faced by women in science who needed to overcome so many obstacles just to move into courses and activities throughout life. I recall many obstacles along my route. I recall being encouraged to focus on non-science areas of study or more accurately, discouraged from some areas of study that I found interesting. The world was -- and still is in many ways -- set up for gender specific roles and deviation can make you look too masculine or feminine and came with all the epithets those terms encompass.

Studying and doing well in coursework often ostracized me from my peers of all genders -- it was expected that women would be doing 'softer' things like cooking and sewing. That I had to enroll in a home economics course to get to the dietetics degree program felt uncomfortable to me as a recent high school graduate. It felt like I was caving since the medical science program was hidden amongst the more acceptable programs of household science at the higher education institutions. As I studied the historical aspects of the  development of the dietetics degree granting programs, I realized that women initially entered home economics or household science degree programs as these were the only ways into a science degree in those days. Other programs such as nursing and education were open for women and could assuage the reticence of institution administrators who saw women on campuses as a threat to these male bastions. The programs fit the traditional role of women as caregivers, so were not 'real' science after all.  

 As I moved into graduate studies I was told outright (as well as through other implicit messages) that intelligence would be a barrier to relationships -- that I would, in effect, educate myself out of the 'pool'  if I went to grad school once, but twice would put me over the tipping point. A male friend told me that going forward with a doctoral degree would likely lead to a solitary life as it was very intimidating for men -- the master's degree was scary enough for them, apparently. This wasn't new to me. I was bullied for getting good grades in elementary school and relegated to the nerd group in high school, which was not populated by many females. Other women with higher IQs worked very hard to avoid being part of the nerdy few. I don't blame them for trying to just fit somewhere 'normal'. High school is a hateful time for many people. I have never chosen to be something other than who and what I am. Thankfully, there are people who can accept that. <smile> 

I found a song that fits many of my thoughts today. I am happy to see this song and so many other programs that encourage girls to enter into a science career. (STEM -- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics -- actually). We've come a long way, but there is still a long road ahead.  Keep safe. Enjoy! 

STEM in Song: There in Front of Me -- Girls' Choir of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge



No comments:

Post a Comment