Sunday 7 July 2024

11-185 (3/7/24) -- Car Repair Pain

My activities began with a good research meeting to discuss possible revisions and responses for a manuscript. Late afternoon had me at the service centre with the car. The technician found nothing until just before end of day -- a good 2 hours into the investigation of the dash lighting up with all sorts of warnings and requests for service. He does feel confident that the problem may be a rear wheel speed sensor. I dislike the guessing games that came along with the computerization of the vehicle mechanics. Problems are like a laptop issue where we just try different things until something works. Sadly, that time costs the hefty labour rate. <sigh> So now we wait for the part to arrive from Ontario. It should arrive and be installed next week. 

I come from a family of mechanics. My grandfather worked in garages and with a dealership as a mechanic. My dad and brother did work on vehicles including rebuilding an engine for a very old half-ton truck. Once vehicle became computerized, along with the improved safety features came a murkier way of trying to pinpoint a problem. Is it "just a sensor" or is there something catastrophic at work in the electrical system? That is where I am these days -- left wondering. I don't have a lot of confidence in driving very far these days -- even in town. 

This situation brought a song to mind. It is one that should bring a smile, but sometimes it hits a bit too close of that. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

The Talkin' Song Repair Blues -- Alan Jackson



No comments:

Post a Comment