Tuesday 23 July 2024

11-205 (23/7/24) -- Saying Farewell

A late morning event was held on campus to say farewell to a colleague. He is leaving for a sister university where he will be in a position that is higher that his current one. This VP has built a strong research support office with a solid strategic plan in place. I always felt that he was on my side when I needed advice or support for a project. The turnout was large given it was a nice summer day <smile>. He has been well regarded by admin an faculty alike and he will be missed. I enjoyed chatting with a number of people that I don't see very often -- some still working and some retired. One retired history professor in particular was great to see. He has encouraged me in the history work I've been doing over the past decade. 

With that start to the day, I headed to the grocery store to buy more than usual. I tried to replace some of the things lost with the power outage and freezer failure. Most things were not on sale, but there was an offer for 10% 'off' in points with a larger spend. I had no difficulty getting to that point. <sigh> 

At the event this morning, one speaker used a few lines from songs to express her feelings over the imminent departure of our colleague. One song spoke to not recognizing something you have until it leaves. She said the songwriter had the concept backwards, at least in this case. We know what we are losing. I felt the lyric also fits with my start at replacing lost food items, too. So, I chose that song to share today. This cover version is great. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Big Yellow Taxi -- Counting Crows



No comments:

Post a Comment