Sunday 14 July 2024

11-195 (13/7/24) -- Doing the Math

Another Saturday come and gone. This one was hot again but humidity feels slightly less than it has been -- still there, but I could breathe when I tended the patio garden. I also did the requisite weekend laundry. <smile>  

Today, I was able to connect virtually with the high school reunion just as everyone was getting settled for the catered dinner. It was such fun to see people and get to say hello to some of them via video feed. Now, none of my degrees is in math, so I'm convinced that someone did the math wrong when it comes to how long ago we graduated <grin>. When I looked at all the faces, I recognized many, but there were several old people that didn't look familiar at all. It is possible that some of those folks were the plus-ones for graduates. Now, when I look in the mirror, I don't see an old person. Interesting that. But seeing a room full of us, made me reconsider my conviction that the reunion year was not off by a decade or two. <smile>  

Thirty-nine years ago on this date, LiveAID began in London and Philadelphia. It was a huge charity concert held on two continents and broadcast across the globe. Phil Collins performed in London and then caught the Concord and performed later in Philadelphia. Another first. A great sum of money was donated to address the famine in Ethiopia in 1985. Geldof spear-headed the event and the delivery of food stuffs to northern Ethiopia.  The song for the day comes from that globally transmitted concert.  Also, I'd suggest watching the full session by Queen -- Freddie at his best and one of their last major performances.

Let it Be -- Paul McCartney ft. David Bowie, Alison Moyet, Pete Townsend, & Bob Geldof 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment