Tuesday 2 June 2015

Day 2 - 153 -- The Big Reveal

Rain all day -- spitting to full on pouring -- all wrapped in single digit temperatures. The temperature is great for sleeping and we do need some rain to moisten the dry woods and ground -- so I'll not complain about the weather today <smile>. Instead, I'll look at the latest encounter with the health care system.  A very friendly nurse (I believe this due to his signature on a report form) called me into a casting clinic room. While he didn't introduce himself or wear a badge anywhere near eye level, I discerned his name from the label on the scissors he used to remove the cast and stitches. Having never had the delight of stitches before, he warned that removal can 'pinch' a bit.  About half left easily and the others were not quite ready to give up their hold on me.  I practised my breathing to avoid holding my breath and possibly getting woozy <smile>. The x-ray tech I saw next was wonderful -- still no name given. I think as this journey goes forward I'm just  going to have to ask people what their name is and what their position is, if it isn't immediately apparent. The Orthopedist did introduce himself -- a very patient man who explained things to me after checking on my professional medical background. He told me that my exercises should be like a full time job -- about 10 minutes each hour (assumed he meant for waking hours and maybe 8 hours times 10 minutes). I have a requisition for physio that I have to drop off ($14 in cab fare) or fax myself. Still not sure why that couldn't go out electronically from the clinic in one hospital to another clinic in another hospital even if in a different town.

I tried to watch the cast removal and found an oddly shaped arm under all the wrapping and plaster. That process reminded me of unwrapping mummies -- for some strange reason  <smile>. I couldn't see the stitches as they faced away from me and towards the gentleman doing the removal. Given the 'ouch' factor, I likely would have closed my eyes to try to concentrate on breathing or something more pleasant. I tried to keep them  open and take it all in. I have tried the two stretches quickly demonstrated by the Orthopedist. While range of motion is limited -- as expected with an elbow injury -- extending the arm seems easier than flexing the hand towards the shoulder. The latter moves a few degrees but seems impossible to go further. With time and the 'aggressive' therapy ordered  the physio should help to make this joint work.  Now today my imagination helped me through some unexpected pain, but it also has heightened anxiety around the future pain of getting this joint moving again with some semblance of normalcy. It seems to be working me into and out of a lather. As for the reveal in my mirror at home -- the bruising has turned a yellowish hue, some swelling around the joint still present but far less than a week ago (the cast had some slight wiggle room to it for the past 3 or 4 days), incision is ugly red and suture removal left tiny open holes.  All in all far better than I'd imagined. I can only hope this foreshadows the expected pain level.

The selection for today reminded my of trying to be present and see what needed to be seen -- face it head on rather than build it up too much in my mind. This singer has been a favourite for some time. Enjoy!

About my Imagination -- Jackson Browne



No comments:

Post a Comment