Thursday 4 June 2015

Day 2 - 155 -- Treats -- bribes or comforts?

Twice this week I've eaten lunch in a restaurant each time with a friend. These outings have added a semblance of normalcy to life -- something far more valuable than just having someone else cook for me <smile>. Having time to visit with friends while not asking for their assistance with some daily activity feels amazingly 'usual.'  At home, I have noted that I am using food as a reward at times -- a treat for getting over the next hurdle. This isn't the healthiest relationship -- professionally I've always recommended that food not be used as a bribe yet here I am doing just that <smile>. Do all my stretches today and I get a treat. <grin>

The food treats I've used seem to have roots in childhood -- so perhaps it is a comfort factor more than a bribe for me at present. I generally eat whole grain breads, yet have used white rolls from a local bakery that remind me of my grandmother's rolls. I purchased some cinnamon pinwheels and matrimonial cake (aka date squares elsewhere in the world). Cinnamon brings calm feelings of home and the cake is similar to my mom's recipe.

This current use of food reminded me of a song from childhood -- one that implies sweets help get us through unpleasant things. Maybe this struck a chord with me as a child so still seems to be my 'go to' as an adult or maybe I'm just trying to rationalize eating treats. Enjoy!

A Spoonful of Sugar -- Julie Andrews


No comments:

Post a Comment