Friday 26 June 2015

Day 2 - 176 -- Challenges of Food and Sleep

Today I was again reminded of the physical effects of the healing process -- hunger and fatigue. While these are normalizing a bit, they are still quite prominent during the days. I am always hungry and need to eat more often than usual. Metabolic rates do increase while bones are setting and extra energy is needed to deal with pain and the physical demands of physio. I am walking more than I had been to try to help rebuild stamina. That, too, requires extra energy intake. These same activities add to the fatigue level. I still seem to feel very tired by 4 PM and then fall asleep in the early evening for 30 minutes to 3 hours -- yet still could sleep 8+ hours most nights.

A challenge occurs when hunger and fatigue arrive together. Choosing nutrient dense foods can be more challenging when all my tired self demands is carbohydrates <smile>. With quick to prepare healthy options readily available this desire for calorically dense foods can be squelched. That doesn't mean that I don't eat such items, but I do try to get the nutrients as well as the calories needed for bone building processes. As time moves forward, I'm learning techniques to manage both tiredness and appetite, with acceptance at the forefront.

The selection for today is likely to bring a smile. It is a parody that deals with one of the two challenges discussed here today. Enjoy!

Girls Just Want to have Lunch -- Weird Al Yankovic


No comments:

Post a Comment