Thursday 17 March 2016

Day 3 - 76 -- The Illusion of wholeness

I woke to white ground cover today. Even the roads were covered. By mid-morning, the roads and walkways had melted and some even dried in places the sun hit in the afternoon. It is cold, though, with highs not getting above the freezing mark. After the movers came in the early afternoon, I needed to go out for a walk. I headed to the art gallery which hosts national travelling exhibits. This one was a provincial exhibit by Joe Fafard. He is a sculptor known internationally who works right down the road. His work has been in casted bronzes, prints and more recently laser cut steel. He focuses often on animals. His cows are found all over the world and are instantly recognizable. At this exhibit there were more cows, bulls, and many horses and coyotes, with one rather large rooster. He has sculpted in 3D and often played with perspective flattening or truncating some figures, which gives interesting views as you look at it from all sides. This latest work in laser cut steel is stunning. It is painted and powder coated. The groupings of mustangs were things that I'd gladly build a fireplace just to be able to put this above it. My favourite was a mare and colt done in the 2D technique, but which had great dimensionality from across the room. They looked 'whole' <smile>. There was also a colt at the foot of the stairs that just made me stop mid-way down to the gallery. It was huge and so detailed -- standing beside it, my head came just above the top of the legs -- so likely an 8-10 foot height at the head. She was totally perfect and unexpected as I rounded the corner on the stairs.

This work in dimensions made me think of many parallels to life as we currently know it. While I expect I look 'whole' to most people, it is an illusion, like the mare and colt. The whole concept of dimensions from the art exhibit showed me that it is all in the eye of the beholder. Once I can feel and see myself that way again will be a good day -- even feeling that way for a minute or two will be welcomed. It is likely to be totally unexpected and will make me stop in mid-thought to recognize that older familiar feeling, even briefly.

When I thought of this selection, it made me think of where things will be in the future. It is a lovely song and often sung in Spanish as the cover I've chosen to share today. Enjoy!

Regresa a Mi (Unbreak my heart) -- Il Divo

No comments:

Post a Comment