Monday 28 March 2016

Day 3 - 88 -- Urgent for whom?

Today marked the first day of the last full week of classes for the year. There are two days next week -- Monday and Tuesday -- but that is only a partial week. <smile>  That also means 3 lectures in one class and 4 in the other. The former will be a challenge to cut back on my talking to fit in everything needed. The latter will fit comfortably, unless I'm forgetting something <smile>. While planning for end of term and completing student meetings, I was trying to book a workman to help with the basement situation. He'd asked to see the crack in the foundation some time back, but seems to be so busy when I'm free and vice versa. I did get a phone message at home last week noting that we needed to get this done soon. My initial response had been why call me at home when I work, too? <sigh>. I called today and the office took a message but wouldn't make an appointment for him (which is what I thought his phone message to me had asked that I do <big sigh>). I did call his cell, but there was no answer. I spoke to the main contractor -- well their office -- and they suggested that I do just what I had done. So -- now we wait again. I spoke with him last week and he was to call me back later last Monday, but didn't call until Thursday and I got home after his office closed for the day. So -- when did this become my issue to plan? <bigger sigh>

When something urgent presents itself, it can be challenging to get everyone involved to feel the same degree of urgency. My basement is in huge disarray and I can't get to one of the deep freezers without moving furniture and belongings from one of the two affected rooms. Working in the basement to do laundry is almost impossible and the kitchen storage is totally inaccessible with the furniture and boxes from one room piled in the middle of that room.  I don't think I needed someone who doesn't quite 'get it' to tell me it was urgent since the contractor had contacted him again to ask him to do what he said he needed to do before someone else can come to repair the foundation crack. It is a small town and there are few skilled workers and companies. This company is very busy as the main one of that type in the area. I understand this, but don't tell me to call you and make an appointment if the office staff won't do this and don't do this four days after you said you would call. Just a very odd situation. We've dealt with this company on our own many times in the past many years and never had an issue -- go figure.

The title and a line or two from a song flashed through my overfull brain today as I tried unsuccessfully to make an appointment time -- SOON. <smile>  It is from an album that I have in the original vinyl. Enjoy!

Urgent -- Foreigner

No comments:

Post a Comment