Thursday 17 March 2016

Day 3 - 77 -- Spilled Milk

This cold day began when my alarm went off at 7:15 AM. I went to the living room to check the weather on the TV and found that it was 9 AM! I had a breakfast appointment for 8:30. I called the restaurant and then almost ran the 5 blocks to meet my friend before he had to head off to work at 10. So, I thought, if this is how the day begins, hopefully it will improve.

I knew it would be a tough day leaving the apartment for the last time and leaving the city I've always felt in my heart was home -- not knowing when I might ever return. So much history is wrapped up in the places that just driving down a street brings floods of memories or family history stories. I finished the laundry of the last of the linens and hauled my suitcases and bags to the door. I took out the two suitcases and packed them into the car. When I returned for the last load, I picked up a bag of bits of groceries to take to my friend's place for tonight only to discover that the milk carton had tipped over and much of the remaining half litre was all over the hardwood floor. I cleaned it up with the newly laundered cleaning rags and hung them to dry for my brother to pack away later. As I saw the milk on the floor two things came to mind -- in NS this wouldn't happen since our cardboard cartons have plastic spouts with screw tops AND running through my head all I heard was 'don't cry over spilled milk' drowning out all other thoughts. The latter made me laugh out loud and dialed back some of the anxiety I was feeling. This was a sign telling me to let it go. It helped a bit -- there were a few small tears, but no major melt down as I'd feared. Whoever sent that message was thanked profusely.

The song title that came to my head is the one I share here today. It isn't one of the major songs by this group, but the title just stuck with me -- since the rest of the milk was put down the drain. Enjoy!

No Milk Today -- Herman's Hermits


No comments:

Post a Comment