Friday 20 May 2016

Day 3 - 141 -- thinking back to the future

The highlight of the day involved promoting the program to 600 high school students from all around the province. We had a display as part of a larger group of tables and displays. It was exciting to see so many young faces thinking about areas of interest and future plans. The area was rather loud with all the happy discussions going on around us.

This reminded me of information fairs that I attended as a student in Grade 11 and 12 and long conversations with teachers and parents.  I knew that I wanted to be in an area of science but wasn't sure what exactly I wanted to pursue. It was all so overwhelming. We could see this look on some faces today as people circled the room more than once or twice. It is a huge decision. Visiting university campuses can help one to feel a bit more comfortable about moving away from the  comforts of home. Being able to visualize oneself in a particular location can help quell some of the inevitable anxiety.

These musings reminded me of a song about school. Enjoy!

Wonderful World -- Sam Cooke


No comments:

Post a Comment