Monday 23 May 2016

Day 3 - 144 -- Enjoying A Life Story

Another slow day today. I did watch a movie that I found fascinating. "Young Victoria" has been on my to watch list for some time and it was available this weekend. Emily Blunt plays the Princess become queen. She was able to play the strength of the personage well. The love story between Victoria and Albert during the early years was touching. The screenplay was written by Julian Fellowes, who has also written Gosford Park and Downton Abbey. The story unfolded respectfully. It had just a few minor alterations to the facts, such as the age of Lord Melbourne being far younger than he actually was. The film had among its producers Martin Scorsese and Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York. The costumes and sets were stunning. Indoor and outdoor scenes were amazingly portrayed. I felt drawn into the story, even knowing the history fairly well. All in all, a good way to spend a couple of hours.

That time today helped me to get outside of my own head for a while. Spending time with biopics and biography books has been a favourite pastime of mine for as long as I can recall. As a kid, I read stories of ballerinas, Helen Keller, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Anne Frank, among so many others. I continued to read biographies and watch movies, though found some stuck to the facts  better than others. I found the movie about Queen Victoria presented a strong female figure yet showed the depth of an historic love. The end notes for the movie stated that their descendants (from their 9 children) are members of the royal houses of Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Greece, Spain, Germany, Romania & Russia. In the early 20th century, 7 of their grandchildren ruled different nations in Europe leading to the Queen being termed 'the grandmother of Europe.'  Biographical works help us to understand the lives of others and perhaps better help us to see our place in the world. Some of my research has involved biography -- particularly autobiographical writings of food service and dietary treatment during the early Victorian years. Perhaps that is why I was so mesmerized by this movie today.

The theme used by the movie during the credits fit the movie so well. I listened and was surprised to read the name of the singer. Her presentation was delightful. Enjoy!

Only You -- Sinead O'Connor


No comments:

Post a Comment