Wednesday 25 May 2016

Day 3 - 146 -- Wheels Rolling Again

Sun, heat, humidity and wind ruled the weather outside my window today. It was similar inside the office building, except for the wind, since they have not turned on the a/c yet. The past week has seen emerg visits to the vet, MD and today to the mechanic. The car had been hesitating or chugging along a few times -- not always but when I was headed to the emerg visits last week, the fear that the vehicle wouldn't get there was ever present. When the car was acting up, I've thought the brakes were grabbing or a tire was losing pressure, Yesterday, when I parked the vehicle, a strange noise emanated from the rear end on the driver's side. Nothing visible when I checked. Today it didn't act oddly when I drove to the dealer or when they drove it around. When they looked, it seems the caliper was seized. So, I wasn't far off checking the hand brake or thinking it was the brake system. My father and grandfather would be proud <smile>. So, we are now set for summer adventures.

We do live in a society that tends to rely heavily on personal vehicles. Living in a small town, there is a taxi service and a local bus that can take  45 minutes to get to work, which usually takes 6-8 minutes to drive. If I lived somewhere with great public transit, I'd use it most of the time. I carry a lot to and from work so walking can be troublesome when carrying half my body weight in papers to grade <smile>. I also tend to head for groceries after work, with neither store close to where I live if 'making big groceries' (in New Orleans speak). I do walk sometimes, more often in the winter and take taxis when transporting heavier loads. I will admit to a feeling of panic when the car is acting oddly. It isn't that I need one every day, but it takes away a sense of freedom and makes one more reliant on others to get where one needs to go. If I lived in NYC or London, a car would only be needed on occasions since transit and train systems will get you close to almost anywhere. Longer trips to far flung areas would benefit from a vehicle.

The song that came to mind today was one that I sang when travelling around working for public health years ago. The lyrics carry a bit of that freedom to go where and when you choose and also highlight the joy of sharing music. Enjoy!

On the Road Again -- Willie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment