Tuesday 6 December 2016

Day 3 - 340 -- Thoughts of the Past

I've been thinking of past Christmas seasons today -- that nostalgia thing again. While I felt sad a few times, there were some smiles. It helped me to be present during a working meeting, write a difficult note to mail, and visit the physio to deal with a recurrence of a nasty bursitis. The world outside is still fairly white and the quality of the light during the day is much weaker. All these things make it feel like Christmas.  The lights and decorations around town just validate that weather based feeling.

While at the grocery store I saw several people from campus and chatted with a few of them. We are all feeling the need to be outside our office work places and even the grocery store offers that social comfort. I found that speaking with people I hadn't seen for a while was another trigger to get me thinking of past years. Interesting how something as small as a word or phrase can take you off on a mind journey into the past. I recalled being in Toronto working over Christmas -- a year I didn't get home to the family until New Years, which was my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. While in the city leading up to Christmas I went to see the Nutcracker for the first time. I love the National Ballet and went as often as my budget would allow. This was a must do. 

The selection chosen for today is from that Christmas classic. This recent version is somewhat unconventional but quite stunning. Enjoy! 

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy -- Pentatonix

No comments:

Post a Comment