Saturday 10 December 2016

Day 3 - 345 -- Seasonal Colour Change

It has been a quiet day -- a good thing <smile>. The usual Saturday chores happened. I managed the beginnings of Christmas decor in the house, too. Tree is up -- lights will wait until tomorrow. Most of the Christmas linens, runners, table cloths and such are out on the requisite pieces of furniture. I still have to dig out the scatter run for the living room, but that, too, can wait until tomorrow. The sun shone brightly until late afternoon. I had pondered moving the snow that had fallen overnight -- about 2 inches (5 cm) -- but I chose to wait to see what happened tonight instead. Just as well, The snow had tripled when I looked out a bit ago and it was still snowing heavily and accumulating quickly. The prevailing winds seem to be coming in from the Northumberland Strait, so we're in the midst of sea effect snow streamers. That will mean significant snow moving tomorrow. The temperature is dropping with the northerly winds, too, so I guess the winter gear will debut tomorrow. A weather system that carries a lot of snow is said to settle in here overnight Sunday into Monday and Tuesday. The shovel will get a workout this week, it seems.

Based on the forecast for the next two weeks, it seems unlikely that the snow will leave before Christmas, giving us one of the rarer white Christmases. For most of my 19 years here in the Maritimes, it has been green or just a minuscule dusting of white. I expect this year will be definitely white with no question. While many folks want to see snow on Christmas Eve when coming out of evening services, I've never seen that as a special event. I've always thought of those who had to shovel it or drive through it in order to get to the family gathering the following day. Guess I'm just a bit too pragmatic at times.  The covering of white will mean that I don't have to stare at the mud pit of a driveway that was left by the roofers a few weeks back. It will also freeze the ground so that we don't have to wade through muck and mire to get to and from the house. That freeze up will mean that the ground is full of ruts and shoveling will not be the smoother job it has been for years. If we catch it early, as seems to be the forecast, I may be able to kick through the rutted bits and try to smooth out a pathway. At least it is cheaper than joining a gym and sitting behind glass windows while exercising isolated muscle groups -- just have to pace oneself and breath correctly. <smile>

Given the early decorations inside and the white fluffy snow outside, only one song kept running through my head today. I've chosen a video clip from a movie to share. I like the Christmas pageant aspect of the stage performance and the wonderful harmonies of the singers. Enjoy!

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas -- Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen, & Rosemary Clooney


No comments:

Post a Comment