Friday 16 December 2016

Day 3 - 350 -- Snow, Hope, and Exams

The day was filled with many activities. It began with moving the snow from overnight -- about 2-3 inches. The walk into work was pleasant, but snow squalls and system snow were expected throughout the day. I wouldn't be home until 10 PM, so chose not to risk being unable to get the car back into my driveway when returning late. I walked in the side door, dropped my book bag in my office, taped two envelopes shut, and walked out the front door into a blizzard-like experience. I mailed those parcels across the street and there was a centimetre of snow down when I returned to the building 15 minutes later. It only got thicker. My exam was at 7 PM, and luckily, the snow stopped late afternoon, giving road plows time to clear before students had to drive into the exam. Many had been on campus most of the day, knowing the weather was going to be iffy. Everyone of the 52 students arrived safe and sound for the exam -- so no deferrals to January necessary. <smile>

The walk home was quiet and solitary. I saw a couple of people from a distance, walking through the snow, and only a few cars were on the road. That is a good thing, since in many places the street plow had refilled the space made by the sidewalk plow -- dueling plow drivers it seems. At Main Street, the street lights were flashing yellow -- yes, the town is that small <smile>. Again, easy to cross as very little traffic was out and about. I waded into my house through knee deep snow, dropped my book bag inside and shoveled off the porch, stairs and sidewalk parallel to the house. Since more snow was falling and the winds were picking up, the blowing snow would fill in the length of the walkway to the street, so I left that for the next day.  

The theme for the day seemed to be hope. Hoping that I remained upright walking in the new snow that covered the layer of ice under it all. Hoping that students would be safe and get into the exam. Hoping that I remained upright wading through the deeper snow on the walk home at night. Hoping the snow was light enough to move without creating soreness.  The sign of hope I found was the gorgeous full moon visible in the late evening -- who shovels at 11 PM? <grin>.  The song for the day is one that has a feeling of hope to it. The tempo and melody seem a bit frenetic, not unlike my day today. I've chosen a video by a well-known family of performers from Cape Breton (who are performing on campus tomorrow evening). They give this version a unique Celtic twist. Enjoy! 

Carol of the Bells -- The Barra MacNeils 






No comments:

Post a Comment