Tuesday 20 December 2016

Day 3 - 355 -- Holiday Lullaby

Grades were calculated and entered today. A long process, but it is now completed. The deferred exam -- due to the snow storm last Friday has been rescheduled for January. We'll see how this works out for everyone involved in the coming days. For now, no more grading necessary for a couple of weeks, at least. I even managed a relaxing evening out with a friend -- good food and some nice wine were the accouterments.

I will need to head into the office for part of the day tomorrow to complete a few things that require the work computer to do. There are several shopping errands that also need to be done. That will leave me a couple of days to work on course prep for January and maybe get some baking done. I do enjoy the cooking process, just don't want too much of the stuff around for just me to consume. So, I may do just two items this year -- which two is still the question. I do give away much of the results, but it seems that usually there is more than I need left. I've found leaving it in the freezer is a great way to make me more mindful since I have to go downstairs to get something. It isn't just sitting somewhere easy to access. Last year I made two types of cookies and no squares. This year I'd like to make a family tradition square and either a cookie or gingerbread cake. It may depend on my mood on the baking day itself <smile>.

For the next week, I really need to get some sleep and rest my brain a bit. It isn't always easy to fall asleep when feeling so tightly wound. A lullaby came to mind as a way to relax the mind and soul. I heard one on the weekend that struck me. It is traditionally sung in the Outer Hebrides at midnight mass on Christmas Eve. The choral group I heard last weekend did an a capella version with a drone line that mimicked bagpipes. The version shared here uses a cello for similar effect, though I expect the traditionalists would use pipes. It is in Gaelic They say the original song had 29 verses, though this one uses about three <smile>.  Enjoy!

Taladh Chriosda -- Eira


No comments:

Post a Comment