Wednesday 21 December 2016

Day 3 - 356 -- Pondering Peace

At this time of the year, with exams behind me (for now <smile>), I chose to pause and reflect on the past year. During this festive time, I find myself pondering peace even more than at other times. Peace -- Not simply a freedom from war -- if one can call that simple -- but one of inner peace, something that is truly a challenge to achieve and even more so to maintain.
I recalled an interview with the late Maya Angelou, in which she stated that our goal should be to be the peace bringers and not only peace makers – to bring that inner peace outwards. This is a true test, but I believe is one well worth the effort. I would like to share with you a quotation from Dr. Angelou’s poem, “Amazing Peace.” 
“We, Angels and Mortal's, Believers and Non-Believers,
Look heavenward and speak the word aloud.
Peace. We look at our world and speak the word aloud.
Peace. We look at each other, then into ourselves
And we say without shyness or apology or hesitation.

Peace, My Brother.
Peace, My Sister.
Peace, My Soul.”
The full poem is truly magical – she had such a gifted way with words. It was written for Christmas 2005. I found a selection to share today -- a great video of a recitation by the author with musical accompaniment. Enjoy!   

Amazing Peace -- Maya Angelou with the US Navy Band (music by Charlie Barnett)


No comments:

Post a Comment