Saturday 17 December 2016

Day 3 - 352 -- Message in the Snow

The day began as have the past several days -- shoveling the snow. While a small bit had fallen last night, most of the visibility issues had been from blowing. I had walked up to the cathedral to hear the King's College Chapel Choir do "A King's Christmas" -- a lovely evening of music and readings. Heading up and back home the snow was blowing badly. I thought a couple times that this was a silly activity -- walking out in the middle of a blizzard. I wasn't alone, though, so was able to walk part way home with a former colleague. The shoveling of the snow has become pure drudgery. It feels like a sentence rather than the occasional activity. All that, and I'm a bit sore after using muscles that don't get used this way most of the year.

It began snowing again this evening, just as I had to head up to campus to give a break to two colleagues invigilating exams. I walked since the snow was making the roads slippery based on the sounds of cars spinning in places. Up and back my black coat became quite white <smile>. On the way home, I was feeling a bit down and paid more attention to where I was stepping rather than what was right in front of me. A couple of blocks later, there right before my eyes was all this sparkling snow. The new flakes were larger in size and the ground appeared scattered with diamonds. The crystalline structure of the snow flakes became more evident. This had been at my feet for the walk up and half the walk back before I really noticed it. I'd been thinking of the people who aren't here for Christmas this year and the next thing I know the sparkles made their way into my consciousness. I was surrounded by glitter. I smiled. I'm not really alone, those I miss are always with me, I just have to pay attention to the signs. Cool!

A lyric about sparkling snow came to mind. I found a version that has that song melded with another that seemed to be the message of the glitter tonight. I do love the a capella stylings of this group -- always fun and unexpected. Enjoy!

Winter Wonderland/Don't Worry be Happy -- Pentatonix




No comments:

Post a Comment