Friday 30 December 2016

Day 3 - 365 -- Looking Back

Tonight a friend and I celebrated the ending of one year and the beginning of the next. Yes, its a day early, but today just seemed a better day for a dinner out minus all the trappings of a New Year's Eve dinner. Many others seem to have similar ideas as the restaurant was fairly full. I didn't realize how much I needed that evening out to just chat. I've had a few outings over the past month, but holing up to work on next term content this past week left me needing some down time with friends.

I've been reflecting on the past year. It has been filled with many events -- good and not so good. Personal losses left large empty spaces in life. Unexpected comments showed that my words helped when others needed understanding. Being physically and figuratively lost in a foreign country brought courage. Seeing the beauty in the world -- historical places and buildings, a new-to-me ocean, the sight of home from the sky, fall colours, sparkling crystalline snow, and so much more -- reminded me that the world held many positives. All experiences, small and large, affect how we see the world and our role in it. Will we see the good or only focus on the unpleasantness of life? Don't get me wrong, 2016 held more than its share of less than wonderful experiences -- but even so there were many moments of a positive nature. I am made of all these experiences.

The song that came to mind is from a Broadway musical. The lyrics note that knowing someone could change a person. The same can be said for experiencing a year, for we often seem to anthropomorphize the years. The song is sung as a conversation between two people -- two people with amazing voices <smile>. Enjoy!

For Good -- Wicked (Original Cast -- Idena Menzel & Kristin Chenoweth)


No comments:

Post a Comment