Friday 11 June 2021

Day 8 - 162 -- Taking Back Control

For a Friday, it was a mixed up sunny and cloudy day -- figuratively and literally. In the afternoon, I made muffins while waiting for the call from a courier to pick up the offending box in my LR. For those following the continuing saga of the Great A/C Debacle of 2021 -- today was to be the outside guess as to when the pick up would occur. On Monday I was told 2-3 days and on Wed I was told it would be Thursday or maybe Friday. Today was 4. I left a note on the Facebook page of the company the box must return to for a refund. No message response arrived, so I headed back to the company website and tried the live chat feature again. It had been difficult on Wednesday when I tried last. Everything worked well today. The live person I got to after the 4-1/2 minute wait was great. They canceled the return process, which I'd been told couldn't happen with the live person on the phone Wednesday. That took seconds to process. I can now return the unit to the store for a refund. I wonder how many days I'd have had to wait for someone to arrive for the pickup. This customer representative also connected me with someone I could lodge concerns with over the disastrous phone call earlier this week. I should get a phone call from them within 24 hours. I really will think multiple times before I order something online from this company again. Delivery to the store might be a good option for most items, but this one was so blasted heavy. Oh well. The return should be completed soon. I will then head to a different vendor for a similar cooling unit. 

It was amazing how much better I felt with a customer service rep who listened and answered my questions -- and in a pleasant and efficient manner. I understand the person I had on the phone on Wednesday likely experienced something upsetting and should have taken a moment. Handing the call to another person would have saved us both a world of frustration. As a customer, I felt odd trying to deescalate a situation. That just isn't my job. Mirroring her negativeness would not have helped with communication and would add to the frustration and hurt. It will be good to be able to describe the episode to a supervisory person. 

Taking back control of this issue today felt positive. I thought of the phrase -- 'don't suffer fools' and this brought a lyric into the brain -- 'the power to redeem the work of fools'. This song was written by an early punk artist and was included on a later album. It highlights her vocal range and strength. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

People have the Power -- Patti Smith


 

No comments:

Post a Comment