Monday 28 June 2021

Day 8 - 178 -- Carrying On

I finally broke down and purchased a portable a/c unit. The first one purchased had been returned and did not have all the parts or instructions in the box. So, I returned that -- not easy to do with something that is 50+ pounds. Thankfully, I have some great friends. Today, we installed the one I purchased from a different store. It still needs something more to secure it, but is in temp working mode. installation was not easy as instructions indicated, which stated to simply cut the window insert and then the instructions moved on to the next step. Cutting was not easy at all.  We went to a local hardware store to ask what we needed to cut the heavy plastic frame. The fellow at the projects desk said he'd do it with a chop saw and went off to the back to provide a great clean cut. Wow! I still need to learn to use the remote control. 

On another note, after having the car in for tire change and charging start/stop battery, the settings I had made in the instrument panel had been reset. I prefer the digital display of the speed in the centre of the panel. The speedometer with a regular dial arm pointing at the numbers is off the the right. The steering wheel obscures visibility for this, so the larger digital numerals work so much better. I know I've altered this once before, but haven't been able to get the computer system to show me how to alter display settings. There are days when technology becomes more useless than useful. <sigh> How to set this isn't covered anywhere in the owners manual or quick start guide. I will try one more things tomorrow and it does not work, I'll head back to the dealership to get them to show me how to get the dash set up the way I prefer.

Why do things that seem simple have to be so complex? Computerized appliances, vehicles and telephones (and other digital devices) can do so many things, many of which I may or may not use. The addition of more and more technology to our everyday lives brings some fantastic supports. However, things become orders of magnitude more complicated with each iteration -- annually or more frequently even. Keeping up becomes a major challenge. Constant (re)learning becomes exhausting.  To be honest,  many people have had more than enough to contend with over the past many months. Keeping up with the technology upgrades or new purchases seems huge at times. Yet, at times like these I think of my grandmother who traveled west by train with her parents and siblings to a homestead on the prairie. Their main mode of transport was horse and wagon. Before she passed, she flew in a large passenger jet to visit one of her children. She saw humans on the moon. She saw hand-held calculators. At that point in time, micro-circuitry was in the early test phases, so many other things hadn't made it into daily life. Imagine how overwhelming that might be! So, when a new version of the phone, software or operating system arrives, I just need to breath and carry on. <smile> Thanks, Gram. 

Lyrics of the song choice of the day provide some support for those moments of grappling with new tech stuff. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Carry On Wayward Son -- Kansas



No comments:

Post a Comment