Sunday 5 September 2021

Day 8 - 247 -- Pervasive Smokiness

There is a pervasive campfire odour in the kitchen area today. While making breakfast today,  a bottle of liquid smoke fell out of the cupboard and the plastic lid broke, spilling the pungent yellow liquid all over the counter and wall. The rag used to clean the area was rinsed multiple times and now rests downstairs in the laundry room. A great start to the day. <smile>

After several small household tasks, I settled into a a long wait on hold with irritating music with incessant repetition -- though I hesitate to call it music. There were many messages of what one could easily do on the website. My request could not be readily managed on my own, though. At least no voice lied to say how important my call was to them <grin>. I was given seven options at the beginning none of which applied to me. The system was going to kick me into a repeating loop of simply repeating the options. So I chose '0' instead. They warned me this would a lengthy wait and that I really should just use the options they'd suggested. I just hit '0' again. Then I heard that the expected wait times would be 47 minutes to 70 minutes. We got through about 80 minutes into holding and things were finished in about 6 or 7 minutes of conversation. It was a big wait, but worthwhile in the end. 

Long wait times are still being blamed on the pandemic. I do understand that this is a moving target. i thought that phone services could be provided from anywhere, though there may be a problem with getting staffing back to where it needs to be as larger companies 'open up' more. It won't be a simple process and patience will be needed on all sides of this one. I worked on supper prep and cleaning and reading and responding to email. Listening to a TV program was out of the question with the mind numbing attempts at tunefulness, though. I have another big wait later in the month when I have to speak to someone at a government agency. That one is usually an hour wait, but without the semi-useful messages I heard today -- well useful the first or second time around. <smile>. 

I find the smokey scent irritating. It will go away with time. Between now and then the counters will be cleaned many times, so that may help the scent to dissipate, too. I have cleaned with three different products so far and all visible splashes of the liquid seem to have been addressed. Another item that requires patience. <smile>  A song line ran through my head -- the title line of a song. It made me giggle, so I'll share my warped-ness with you all here. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Smoke on the Water -- Deep Purple



No comments:

Post a Comment