Wednesday 22 September 2021

Day 8 - 257 -- Celebration Day

I woke to great cloud formations as the sun rose today. The sky was very interesting to watch as the golden sun shone in the bright blue sky. Today was my birthday and it made me wonder, "what's in a number?" Age numbers bring rights and privileges -- school age, right to vote, legal age to drink, drive, work and draw a pension. Age also has a psychological component. I rarely think of myself as being as old as I really am -- a good look in the mirror or glimpse of some errant 'age' spot or hands that look older than I could possible be <smile> will startle me into a reality check. It is good that we have the ability just to be us rather than what we or others might perceive as a societal norm for what a certain number might look or act like. I recall an older family member who walked downtown well into her late 80s. She was always thinking of others and would see things while shopping and get them for others. I noted that as a kid -- being engaged with others in the world around you is important to keep living and not just sit in a rocker for the rest of your days. Another couple of female relatives never told anyone their true age.  In fact, birthdays were difficult for them as they didn't want others to know if they hit a milestone year. Each number made one person feel particularly vulnerable and 'old'. One lived well into her 80s and another into her mid-90s. 

So, I celebrate every birthday. There is a lot to celebrate. I re-read the list of new things I've done from the previous year and start the next annual list on the birthday. A goal of not getting stuck in a rut leads the way for each year. I act like me and not what some number might dictate. Life continues with so much to offer for experiences. Why sit and stare into space unless you want to relax for a day? <smile>  Today I woke early to make the most of this day. Anyone who knows me understands this is not common. I am not a morning person. <smile> It was a wonderful day. The song shared here is for the title and chorus line that ran through my head when I realized that I'd woken earlier than usual. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing -- Aerosmith




No comments:

Post a Comment