Sunday 10 May 2015

Day 2-130 -- Only One Day for Mothers?

Mother's Day -- a single day devoted to mothers. As a child, we went to church on mother's day wearing carnations. Artificial versions made of cloth-like material (in the days before plastics took over the world <smile>) were available at the 5 and dime and other department stores. These came in three colours, each of which carried a specific meaning. One wore red if one's mother was living, white to honour a deceased mother and pink if you had an adoptive mother. I found it interesting to look around the congregation and learn about someone's personal life from their lapel flower.

We do seem to have days, weeks or months devoted to things we should be mindful of every day. Mothers seem to have this one day, but do people think about this family member throughout the year? Many do and gifts and thank yous should not be confined to one day. We didn't make breakfast in bed for mom very often -- it wasn't common in our home. Dad generally cooked Sunday breakfast and dinner throughout the year, so Mother's day was no different. We did purchase gift items or flowers for her on this day. I recall shopping with Dad for lamps one year and jewellery another year. Since I moved away, a phone call has become part of the day -- that and a card and gift in the mail. <smile> I also think of my grandmothers who were integral parts of my life until early adulthood and women who taught me a lot. I also think of my other mothers one passed and one who turned 99 this year. They, too, provided me with much wisdom and understanding. So, if I were to wear carnations today, I feel I'd have to wear a bouquet of red, pink and white.

The selection today was written for mothers and the lyrics have a superficial and a deeper meaning. I hear a call for music of her day and her wisdom. Enjoy!

Your Mother Should Know -- The Beatles


No comments:

Post a Comment