Thursday 28 May 2015

Day 2 - 148 -- Searching for Peace and Self-understanding

Well -- today was a usual day -- at least in this new normal. I made time for a nap late in the afternoon rather than fighting it. I did some work online but again, didn't push it too far. The house was stifling from the two days of very hot temperatures. This evening seems to be bringing a break with cooler temps and a slight breeze that helps to bring house temperatures down a bit, too.

Yesterday a few friends reminded me to take care of me and not push too much. I wasn't fully aware that I was forcing or fighting the healing process. I expect a goodly portion of the stress I was struggling with was self-induced. Why do we try to change things that can't be changed instead of accepting them for what they are? There seems to be a reticence to 'go with the flow'.  While reflecting on my reaction to forced changes to my daily routine, I saw that I was focussed on the endpoint and not the journey needed to get there. That is like wishing time away rather than looking at it all and experiencing things fully -- good, bad and in-between. This was an eye-opening discovery. It made me realize that I've been cranky and whiny more than I may need to be -- I don't expect to see this situation through rose coloured glasses, for down times are to be expected. The goal is to accept the feelings but to explore them from other angles to help move past the negative low points and find some peace. Celebrating the small changes along the way may help.

A song came to mind tonight. I hear the lyrics note the difficulties of finding self-acceptance in a crazy world. Enjoy!

(what's so funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding -- Elvis Costello









No comments:

Post a Comment