Saturday 23 May 2015

Day 2 -143 -- Back Home Again

After a restless night, the morning dawned bright and sunny. Physio took me for a walk and offered some OT tips, though no OT was on over the weekend. I'll see what I can get arranged back home. Two wonderful friends who stayed at the hospital for almost 12 hours yesterday, drove back at noon today to spring me. By then I'd managed several mundane daily tasks partly on my own and partly with assistance. It was great to get to my own surroundings again.

Thoughts over the last 24 hours -- loss of dignity is part of the game, so letting that go was easy. Knowing that I needed nursing care overnight was not a huge disappointment; I just knew I couldn't ride in a car for 45 minutes. Surgeons involved were fantastic -- pre- and post-op. The night nurse was an angel -- very kind and helpful. The comradeship of the person in the next bed was helpful as we both struggled through the night. Again, this gives a very different perspective on daily life.

The main chorus of this song came to mind while waiting for my ride home today. Love this version with two singers and acoustic guitars at a great old NYC theatre.Enjoy!

Homeward Bound -- Paul Simon and Willie Nelson


No comments:

Post a Comment