Friday 15 May 2015

Day 2-135 -- Blues Boy Exits

Where to begin this 500th post? I was deep in work at the office and didn't hear the news until I got home this evening. Oddly enough, I was listening to the Blues playlist on the iPod this afternoon. We've lost an amazing musician today -- one who was always on the list of top guitarists of all time. B.B. King died today at age 89 years and has been doing gigs for what seems like a lifetime -- well my lifetime perhaps -- sitting over many of the past years when he could no longer stand through a show. I recall my brother and sister-in-law going to see him in concert many years back and they were thrilled to have the tickets and more thrilled to have spent an evening listening to him.

This man, the son of a Mississippi share-cropper, became a much feted and adored blues musician. His legendary Gibson guitar 'Lucille' provided us with many wonderful moments. These will continue -- a positive aspect of technology.

In honour of this amazing man of music, I chose two items to share here today -- and this wasn't easy to whittle down to only two. The first is somewhat autobiographical highlighting the meaning of music to his life, specifically the role of the guitar. I chose the second song to remind us that while he may be free from the 'spell' of health issues, his music lives on in all of us. I chose an eclectic duo for this video -- almost went with Clapton, but this one shows so well Mr. King's joy while playing. Perhaps these two are singing together again tonight. Finally, given this is the 500th post, the third song was chosen to pay homage to the man and his music rather than celebrate this little blog. Enjoy!

My Lucille -- B.B. King


The Thrill is Gone -- B.B. King ft. Pavarotti


500 Miles -- Peter, Paul and Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment