Wednesday 20 May 2015

Day 2 - 140 -- Seeing Things Differently

One thing this waiting to recuperate affords a person is time to reflect.  I have realized how much I took for granted and take for granted  daily.  Health is a life resource (from WHO documents). I'm not saying I did not appreciate this concept, but small things are easy to overlook. Things like being able to braid my hair,  tie my shoes, sleep comfortably, wring out a face cloth -- these are things we do without thinking. When I found myself one handed, I began to truly appreciate strategies for daily living that fall to occupational therapy. I've also noticed how quickly the brain begins to develop work arounds for many processes.

However, there are many things that require outside assistance since they simply require two hands. I've been impressed by the creative minds that have invented devices to assist. I've contemplated getting a fancy jar opener prior to this incident -- this will occur soon as it will be useful for all  the new jars that seem sealed with crazy glue <smile>. A can opener that only requires one hand will also be on the shopping list. I am open to many other items that can ease current challenges, but will also assist in the long run. 

In short, I've seen things in a very different light. I have a better appreciation of physical challenges. Seeing things through a different lens is eye-opening. The selection for today may feel a bit schmaltzy, but the lyrics seemed to fit today's reflection. Enjoy!

On a Clear Day -- Barbra Steisand


No comments:

Post a Comment