Wednesday 1 November 2017

Day 4 - 305 -- Rushing, Rushing

Imagine! Today was November 1st. How did that come around so quickly. The term is 2/3 completed and still so much left to do. Wasn't it just recently that we began this circus? September seems so close and yet so far in reality. Time can be a wonderful concept to ponder. I do want to read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, but that, too, must wait for time to pass. I fear that one won't occur until I retire and have time to read about and ponder the passage of time. <smile>

During the day, time seemed to pass quickly. I was sure I was going to be almost 10 minutes late for a meeting as I hurried down the street, having glanced at the clock tower on the way. When I arrived the clock showed I was only a minute or two past the appointed time. I was hungry before it was lunch time, but didn't eat until noon due to people dropping in during office hours. I went to get groceries at 5 PM and was starving by the time I got home at 6. I ate and am now feeling the need for a substantial bedtime snack to deal with the hunger that began long before actual bedtime. Internally, time seems confused. Externally, clocks everywhere tell me something different. It seems the best I can do is to check my watch, which keeps reasonable time, and ignore the many other time keepers in my surround, since they seem destined to give me an incorrect reading of the actual time. One would expect clocks in public spaces to be set to the correct time and checked regularly. Isn't that why these items are posted around us? Or is it to give us false sense of security if time pieces are slow or a sense of urgency when they are fast? Is the goal to mess with the inner time sense we all have? Hmm. Just wait until time change this weekend. That is sure to have everyone not knowing when it is.

A lovely song about the passage of time seemed appropriate today -- a song that brings with it some relaxation and a sense of calm in a world rushing by us. The vocalist is amazing -- her voice is perfect for the selection. Enjoy!

Who Knows Where the Time Goes -- Judy Collins


No comments:

Post a Comment