Sunday 26 November 2017

Day 4 - 330 -- Food and Memories

I managed to get myself to take some time away from the work today. I graded another online assignment after which I watched some recorded programs from the last few weeks. I'm a bit behind on some of my fave shows. It is nice to be able to watch them without focusing on other work tasks -- generally this means that I'm not sure what the episode was even about by the time the credits run. <smile>. Definitely something that one cannot multitask.  I took some time to make a special supper to celebrate the completion of the major term paper grading for the term. While not overly elaborate in time required, it was yummy. I did a vegetable saute with gnocchi and a wonderful glass of malbec. It was great to have something freshly made. Not that the items cooked and frozen for such crazy times of term are not tasty, but this one was something I haven't had in a very long time.

Interesting how food holds memories. The gnocchi tonight is my version of a dish I had last time I was in Washington DC for a conference. The days leading up to the conference involved time with friends. We hadn't all been together  for a very long time. One restaurant that we ate at more than once made a fantastic gnocchi dish with cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. They also served a wonderful malbec by the glass. Supper tonight reminded me of the conversations and visits to monuments and museums we did together. It was a fun couple of days that brings smiles regularly even five years later. <smile>

Dinner tonight made me think of a number of songs, but one seemed to stick. I've chosen a more recent cover to the older original. I do love this newer version. It brings out very different feelings than the original. It is always great to find a cover that adds to rather than mimics an original recording. Enjoy!

Red Red Wine -- UB40



No comments:

Post a Comment