Wednesday 15 November 2017

Day 4 - 319 -- Best Laid Plans

Very little spare time presented itself today. The piles on my desk seemed not to be any different when I left the office than when I'd entered it. I brought work home and didn't get to it all -- another case of planning to do too much in a short period of time. The work will travel back to the office with me tomorrow and I'll try again. At this time of year prioritizing tasks becomes more challenging than usual. I expect this is due to there being far more work than hours within which to complete it. It seems likely that everyone around me is in the same place -- more to do than is humanly possible. Everyone looks dragged down and ready to fall asleep anywhere anytime. There are 2.5 weeks to the end of classes and then 2 weeks of exams with grades due 5 days later.

Each term is a mega-marathon with the end being the time when you struggle to avoid hitting the wall. Daily planners get derailed as fatigue sets in and the work piles grow higher. I have a list of priorities to begin each day. That list has remained the same for the past two days. The plans are there, but other tasks enter the mix and each task takes longer than it might have in September. It will all get done, but the deadlines set by me and for me seem to slip through my fingers.

That last line and the intended work for the day that never gets done, brought me to a song. This is a story quite different from my own, but the nature of plans that go off kilter is the crux of each situation. Enjoy!

Best of Intentions -- Travis Tritt


No comments:

Post a Comment