Monday 20 November 2017

Day 4 - 324 -- Ordinary and Historic Day

Another Monday almost over, though this one went fairly well. I was able to strike one errand off my list that had been there for a few weeks. Got most of what I needed from a local store and will need to do an online order for the rest of the items. I spent a few hours in the office with a short list of tasks including a student seminar. I headed home and had a late lunch and commenced grading papers -- or rather, continued grading papers <smile>. The pile is getting shorter so this larger assignment should be finished by the weekend. Another smaller one is due this week with the final one due next week. I do have to get a final exam off to the printer this week, so polishing that is on tap for tomorrow.

An historic event occurred today -- the 70th wedding anniversary of a reigning monarch. Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh were married in 1947. Being just after the war, Britain was still rationing. Coupons for the material for the wedding dress were saved for use, though those sent by loyal subjects were discretely returned. The fabulous gown and the equally amazing muli-layered wedding cake required ration coupons from the royal household -- an interesting tidbit that most people might not know. Everyone was subject to the rationing rules.

So, while I was going about my usual routine, a family on the other side of the Atlantic gathered to celebrate an historic event. I've chosen a piece that was played at that wedding all those years ago. I suspect that most of us could identify it from the early section, but may not be as familiar with the middle part. The horns herald something joyful. Enjoy!

Wedding March (from a Midsummer Night's Dream) Felix Mendelssohn -- London Symphony Orchestra

No comments:

Post a Comment