Monday 13 November 2017

Day 4 - 317 -- Crisp Sunny Day

Much of today was spent indoors grading papers. Some were completed, but a rather large pile remains for another day. When I chose to take a break for lunch, I heard a noise against the house. Looking out the kitchen window, I saw my yard maintenance person cleaning out the gutters. There are still many leaves to drop in the back yard, but the gutters were packed full already. So, we'll have to repeat the process in the spring, I'm sure. I went out to chat for a few minutes. It was cold but with wonderful bright sun. Even that few minutes outside and wandering around the yard was invigorating. I hadn't noticed how insulated I'd been sitting with the papers. The smell of the air was tinged with wood smoke since the neighbouring houses use wood stoves for heat.

Sunshine can be amazing. If it is too bright and I'm exposed too long, I can get a migraine. Yet, armed with sunglasses and a ball cap, it can bring many positive feelings. This positive feeling has been associated with sun for millennia. It brings life through photosynthesis and warming the earth for seeds to germinate in the spring. The UV light stimulates the skin to form vitamin D, a necessity of life. Sunshine can become oppressive with the extreme heat of summer, but in the midst of winter it reminds us of the promise of spring. Bright sunny days often accompany the bitter cold days on the prairies. Such days bring ice crystals in the air as the moisture freezes. The sparkling air is truly magnificent -- magical. 

A song came to mind today with lyrics that note the simple pleasures of sunshine. Enjoy! 

I was Raised on Country Sunshine -- Dottie West




No comments:

Post a Comment