Wednesday 29 November 2017

Day 4 - 333 -- Coping with Demands

For the past while, I've felt that much of what was sitting on my desk was stuff that other people were demanding of me. Now, it is my job but so are some of the things that I want to do -- the stuff on my 'to do' list -- writing, reading, learning new things. I don't begrudge doing the service component of my job -- it is a huge part of being an educator. I believe in being accessible and it is something that I truly enjoy. The admin stuff has always been a challenge for me no matter which job I've held. Some is reasonable, but some is hard to fully accept <smile>. Just little non-conformist me coming out to play and grump a bit.

When the workload increases beyond anything that seems sensible, negative feelings can surface. When getting to eat lunch before 3:30 or 4 PM is a rare occurrence, things need to find a balance. Well, to be specific, I need to find a balance. That, too, is very difficult to do. I do my best to keep a smile and laugh -- sometimes at the absurdity of the situation. Listening to others needs is a key communication practice for me. When I don't feel heard when I take time to explain a situation, it can be a bit off-putting. Then, it may not be reasonable to expect others to function the way I do. They are being pulled in many directions, too, and may choose silence as response. While this may feel somewhat passive-aggressive from my standpoint, maybe it is self-preservation from their perspective. Who knows what goes on in someone else's mind. Keeping track of my own is more than enough <smile>.

A new song from a Canadian singer/songwriter/poet came to my attention yesterday and must be the source of much of the reflective thought today. The song lyrics speak to the feeling of juggling multiple demands and trying to find a coping strategy. The melody has an R&B sound to it mixed with wonderful orchestration. Enjoy!

Everybody's Pulling on Me -- Jann Arden


No comments:

Post a Comment