Saturday 25 November 2017

Day 4 - 329 -- Colourful Lights

Saturday brought some positives. I finally got through the term paper grading. There are still some smaller (in length) assignments to grade, but that will be doable in the coming week, I hope. The laundry was completed in a single day instead of the usual two. The sun during most of the day was lovely and warmed the air into the mid-teens. I went out after dark and it was still about 10C, but the wind was rather strong. Since I was just standing on the street waiting for the parade to arrive, I was glad to have a fleece hoodie under the light rain jacket. And it did sprinkle a bit during the hour outside.

Parades can be interesting and generally fun. I could hear the kids from my back yard. They were happy and a bit excited, since tonight's parade was the one to welcome Santa to the town. There were several fire and rescue vehicles between groups and floats, all with full flashing lights. I found the brightness of the lights somewhat uncomfortable -- I had to stare at the sidewalk sort of behind me to avoid the head pain the lights were causing. Interesting, since generally I find phonophobia part of a headache, but photophobia isn't a huge issue. Well, tonight it was. With that small negative aside, the event was fun. Smokey the Bear was on the float for DNR (Dept of Natural Resources), the Town Council marched with Canada 150 flags, and the old man himself arrived in a horse drawn carriage -- gorgeous black horses with braided tails. The colourful lights on the displays were delightful. Several kids had santa hats with flashing lights. After the parade, the town tree lighting occurred, but I headed home for supper. An hour later, fireworks from the tree site could be seen from my kitchen window -- all red, green and white sparklers. The higher up ones were hidden in the low hanging cloud.

It seemed a bit festive -- something I guess I needed, since I felt better after the events. It is a month until Christmas day, which is difficult to believe. I'm still wondering where October went and it is the end of November <smile>. A recent song line ran through my head when I was thinking of the lovely lights from tonight. The lyrics emphasize the power within. Enjoy!

Firework -- Katy Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment