Monday 14 January 2019

Day 6 - 14 -- Taking Chances

Another delightful sunny day. My one trip outside involved spreading sand and ice melter on the big ice rinks in the front yard to help break them up and provide some traction. I spread this combination until it ran out. Next time I'm out to the store, more will need to be procured.

As I worked around the house today, I pondered a past conversation -- one from many years ago. As a grad student, I discussed a job opportunity with a faculty member. I recall being surprised by her response. She told me that I was a risk taker, so the job would suit me well. I'd never seen myself in that light before. When I thought through the term, I learned that she saw what I hadn't. I had a goal and took a circuitous route to get to there -- taking many turns along the way. Today, this flitted across my mind. Even years later, I value that insight into my character. I've continued trying new things -- a form of risk taking. I see life as an adventure and understand there is no single route to take me where I'm headed. As I've said before, life is a journey and not a destination. Without exploring along the route, one risks getting to the end with less experience than was possible. Just non-conformist little me in deep thought <smile>.

A song lyric that includes similar thoughts on life is shared here tonight. From the title, it links with my using all the sand today, as well. <smile>  Enjoy!

When the Sand Runs Out -- Rascal Flatts


No comments:

Post a Comment